The BiL Hat
My brother in law wanted a new wool hat, I wanted to use my favourite go to yarn – Brown Sheep Lamb’s Pride Worsted so I created this pattern. I used several different patterns for reference, mostly the hat from Hip To Knit. This hat is super warm & can be made in a solid colour or striped.
220 yards of Lamb’s Pride Worsted (or any other wool to gauge. I love Brown Sheep so I always use it – it’s inexpensive & they have lots of colours)
Note: I’ve always made stripped hats but I think one skein should make a solid hat.
1 16 inch size 7 circular needle
1 set (4) dbl pt size 7 needles
5 stitches to inch on size 7 needles
Round 1 knit 2, purl 2 all around
Round 2 knit 2, purl 2 all around
Repeat for rib pattern.
1. CO 104 stitches on to circular needle. Place marker to mark begining of round & join, taking care not to twist stitches.
2. Work in the round in k2 p2 rib for 8.5 inches
3. On the last round, place st markers every 8 stitches.
4. Divide stitches on 3 dbl pt needles in the following ratio: 32-32-40
5. Work next round: *Rib to 2 st before marker – P2tog*. Repeat pattern between * * across round.
6. Next round – work as st appear – knit the knits & purl the purls.
7. Repeat these two rounds until 2 st remain between markers, keeping the decending st in rib pattern.
8. Next round k2tog all around – 13 st remain
9. Next round k2tog until last 3 st – k3tog. 5st remain
10. Break yarn, thread through remaing st, tighten & secure
11. Wear your hat & be warm!
Note: You can add colours at the start of any row for stripes – in the example I used Blue Blood Red for 5 inches & then switched to Onyx.
Please let me know if there are any errors!